Mamboberry HD DAC+ v2
Our goal was to produce an audiophile dac-hat for Rpi market. As you probably already understand in such a small area (board) we have limits. To overcome these limits we had to put the highest quality electronic parts and to make an efficient electronic pcb design.
Let’s see what parts we choose and what choices we have made for pcb design, to bring Mamboberry HD DAC+ v2 to this level, as the most audiophile dac-hat at Rpi market.
Mamboberry HD DAC+ v2 “wears” its new capacitors and they rock!
ELNA Silmic II are among the best audio capacitors in the audio market. In addition we went from 330uF to 470uF in the same dimensions as Nichicon caps.
ELNA developed new raw material for the separate paper which use a silk fibers. Therefore, this capacitor can give you high grade sound for your audio design.
- Due to the silk fiber’s pliability, the capacitor makes a dream of the high quality sound.
- To relieve the music’s vibration energy.
- To decrease the peak feeling sound at high compass and rough quality sound at middle compass.
- To increase massive sound at low compass.
Texas Instruments LDO
Design is the “A” and most crucial stage for a good dac. In this small pcb board we have to do everything is human possible, to eliminate the noise in the power spectrum. And Rpi has a lot of “noise” (jitter).
So, we have putted two “clean power stages”, to eliminate the power noise with two supremacy electronic parts.
- First power cleaning stage is achieved with LP5907 from Texas Instruments with the amazing low Output Voltage Noise: < 6.5 μVRMS
and the next “cleaning” step is done with our special choice:
- TPS7A8701 with Ultra Low Output Noise: 3.8 μVRMS
With this technique we achieve to make it as silent as possible, at the power path 🙂
...and the rest but not least...
- Film resistors. Film resistors are the best resistors for audio quality. We use resistors with 0.5% Tolerance, and our favorite ones are from Susumu company.
- Five ELNA audio capacitors around the dac chip at 4.7uF
- The wonderful and audiophile WIMA Film capacitors. We use two of them at low pass audio path (the red beauties) for the wonderful bass field!
- Gold RCA outputs
- On-board DC jack to power DAC and through our filtering stages it will provide clean power to Rpi
The heart and soul!
Once you listen to this heart you will never go back!
The famous and truly briliant 9023p dac chip from the best audiophile company. Sabre is in the audio market a lot of years ago and if you drink whisky or wine, then you ‘ll know that, as years gone by, the “sound”getting better 🙂
Well in our situation our board design around 9023p, is the perfect match for the best audiophile dac-hat in this price range (and not only).
Let’s see the specs of that dac chip:
- Low noise technology. The famous patented technology from SABRE the “Domain Jitter Eliminator“
- 192kHz/24bit capability
- DSD to DxD(PCM) conversion at 384kHz/32bit to enjoy your DSD files
The "souls" of Mamboberry HD DAC+
At Mamboberry HD DAC+ we give the power to the customer. Two clocks to choose!
Crystek’s Model CCHD-957 HCMOS CLOCK oscillator family has been designed specifically for High Definition Audio (HD Audio).
It features a typical low close-in phase noise of -100 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz offset, and a noise floor of -169 dBc/Hz.
With this extreme low phase noise performance, you will “Hear the Difference”.
It also features a “Standby Function”, that is, when placed in disable mode, the internal oscillator is completely shut down in addition to its output buffer being placed in Tri-State.
The brilliant IDT clock from the very well known audio company!
- Frequency range: 0.016MHz to 1500MHz
- Output types: LVDS, LVPECL, HCSL, LVCMOS
- Supply voltage options: 1.8V, 2.5V, or 3.3V
- Phase jitter (1.875MHz to 20MHz): 100fs typical
- Phase jitter (12kHz to 20MHz): 300fs typical